Saturday, February 12, 2011

The Building Blocks of Fashion

Nothing entrances me more than untraditional fashion. Lady Gaga and Katy Perry, the queens of all things untraditional, remain two of my biggest inspirations to this day. When fashion meets art, resulting in an explosion of color, texture, and/or intricate patterns, it simply takes my breath away. To be honest, I was speechless for quite a bit after seeing Mary Katrantzou's Spring 2011 collection.

"With this collection," she said, "I wanted to put the room on the woman, rather than the woman in the room." Without a doubt, Katrantzou's vision came alive on the runway showcasing her collection. The idea based behind the collection was to create architectural pieces in three dimensional art, making the pieces not only desirable, but a sort of story within an item as well. Style.com mentions two examples: one was a dress whose top half featured a swimming pool in an L.A. house above a view of the city from the balcony of that house. The other used a view of a dining room table as a skirt with a perspective of the room it stood in rising up the bodice.

It was not only these breath-taking pictures that made Katrantzou's collection come alive, but the fabrics she used, as well. Window frames were created, surrounded by bits of fluttering chiffon that stood for lifelike curtains. She even added lampshades with real, dangling crystals. Chandeliers and wall decor worn as oversized necklaces completed the look, along with shoes in dashing colors that brought out hues in Katrantzou's designs. The overall effect was just lovely; it captured the extraordinarily real look of an architectural masterpiece with all the every-day wearability of an item of clothing.

Mary Katrantzou shines a light on the way fashion should always be portayed: as an art. She brings back the idea that beauty is in the eye of the beholder, and something as simple as hard work and determination can create something reminiscent of magic. I will be anxiously awaiting Katrantzou's future collections, but until then, I'm sure her Spring 2011 collection will give me plenty to reflect on!

12 comments:

  1. Fabulous slide show great shots
    www.rawfashionmagazine.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great clothes! I do like a little something unusual.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like how you made it a slideshow instead of having to click through each image...a very unusual collection. I like taking inspo from the avant garde as well - usually it ends up in the form of wacky jewelry since I try to keep my wardrobe very basic and chic.

    Olive

    www.VisforOlive.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. very nice post.. keep it up dear ...

    Please Visit My Blog for Hindi Music, Punjabi Music, English Music, Ghazals, Old Songs, and My Entertainment Blog Where u Can find things like Ghost, Paranormal, Spirits.
    Thank You

    ReplyDelete
  5. HI
    nice and useful! i would like to say thank you about this cool post & your Decent a site….
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hello,
    Really Fantastic posts I was looking for some information about this idea,
    thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi there to all
    Great beat, I hadn't thought about it quite that way.
    Waiting for more

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hey,
    The Building Blocks of Fashion
    I am extremely thankful to find out these kinds of fantastic information becoming discussed openly online. Appreciate you for sharing these kinds of wonderful ideas.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I really adore your sense of style.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Fashion will always remain an art.
    Yummylooks.com | Amaira Serum

    ReplyDelete
  11. nice post
    have a look of my website https://www.chabalala.co.uk

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for checking out my blog, Take Me Out to the Runway! I appreciate any feedback you can give me, and I enjoy reading each and every one of your comments. I will do my very best to respond to all of them!